Saturday, January 23, 2016

Glass etching



As a previous child care provider, I know how much energy, love, passion, and hard work goes into each and every day. It is an exhausting but extremely rewarding job. Child care providers are not paid enough. Not nearly enough. Early childhood educators don't get the credit they deserve. Because of that, I try my best to thank the child care providers of my niece, Sydney, in little ways that show I appreciate all they do.



I bought this set of 4 little glass jars at Home Goods months ago. I had another glass jar that was similar in size so I decided these would be my next project for the 5 super amazing ladies who work with Sydney.




Since I had each of Sydney’s teachers fill out a “favorites” sheet, I knew what each of their favorite candies were. I went to the nearby CashWise and bought some candy in bulk. Jolly Ranchers, Swedish Fish, Laffy Taffy, LifeSaver gummies, and Starburst.






Then, I set to work on doing some glass etching on the little jars. My older sister, Stacey, taught me how to do glass etching. Super easy, fairly inexpensive, and doesn’t take much time.


Here’s what you need to do some glass etching:

·         Various glasses/jars
·         A small bottle of Armour Etch
·         Small foam paint brush
·         Gloves
·         Scrapbooking letters/stickers
·         Masking tape
·         Windex
·      




First off, I washed the jars and used Windex on them to make them super clean. After drying, I began to place the scrapbooking letter stickers where I wanted them. Then, I placed masking tape in a square around the letter. Whatever is not covered will turn into a nice frosted look. Make sure you push down on the stickers and the masking tape to make a clean edge.














Put an old towel down in case this next part gets a little messy. Next, put your gloves on. Using the small foam brush, put a generous coat of the Armour Etch onto the squared off section surrounding the letter. Really goop it on. Make sure the jars lay so that the letter faces up so the etching cream doesn't drip. The first time I did glass etching, I was working with wine glasses and put the etching cream on so thick that it dripped down over the masking tape and etched some of the glass that I didn't want etched. That's why you should have it facing up, if at all possible. Cover all of the jars and leave it on for 10 minutes. 





Keep your gloves on – you’re going to need them in a bit. Now, starting with the first jar you etched, rinse off the Armour Etch under running water. Use your gloved hand to gently get ALL of the etching material off and don’t let it touch your skin. After all of the jars are rinsed, dry them with a towel, being gentle around the newly etched part.



Now you get to take off the scrapbook stickers and masking tape to see what your glass etching looks like! 



Carefully pull the masking tape off. Then, gently pull off the scrapbooking sticker. Mine kind-of stuck a little bit so I had to scrub it off really gently.









Use some Windex to fully clean the etched area again. Wash out the inside of the jars and now they are ready for some candy! 










Of course, I made sure that the gal’s favorite candy were placed in the correct monogrammed jars. I wrote a little thank you note for each jar and tied them to the jar with curling ribbon.








If you are reading this and have a child care provider who takes care of your child, treat them like queens (or kings if you’re lucky enough to have a guy at your center!) They do what they do because they LOVE it and they want to make a difference in a child’s life. Let them know you appreciate everything they do.  A simple thank you note or gift goes a long way.


The finished candy jars! Depending on what's in them and the lighting, some of the letters are easier to see than others. 











No comments:

Post a Comment